Thursday, 18 August 2016

Nothing Great is Easy

I'm not entirely sure that people who don't write really understand what a writer does or how hard it is to get something published. I'm also not convinced that some writers, when they first start out, have a clue about what awaits them. Unless they are determined, willing to learn and don't mind hard work they soon find out that, actually, writing - or writing for publication is not easy.

Anyone can write, primary school children do it, but they aren't writing for publication. They're writing for the teacher and to the curriculum and, eventually, to enable them to pass exams, but they aren't yet writing for publication. That is a whole different kettle of fish. The problem being that a lot of people think they can write but they actually can't. They see it as the easy option but are left scratching their heads every time they get a rejection - if they get as far as submitting their work - because they don't understand the process and art of writing or how to improve.

Writing take patience, practise and persistence. I haven't been pitching articles for sometime now due to other projects taking priority but I am just getting back into it now.  Because I am a little rusty I haven't gone back into it blind, I've been reading around the subject again and taking it slowly. It's going to take some time for me to get back up to speed.

I was thinking about this the other day. I was a nurse for thirteen years but gave it up eight years ago. If I wanted to get back into nursing, I couldn't just apply for a job and step back into the ward or GP practice. I would have to do more training and spend time doing practical placements before I would be competent to practice again. Why should getting back into writing be any different?

So, if you have been out of the article writing scene for a while and want to get back into it you could do worse than go back to the basics and brush up your skills before you send that first pitch. Remember that 'nothing great is easy' is a good motto to write by - it's the motto of my daughters old primary school and was spoken by Captain Webb the first man to swim the Channel. We could learn a lot from him about hard work and success.

3 comments:

  1. I often advise my students, at roughly a 'half way' point during their studies, to go back to the beginning and have a good review of what they've learned so far. It's so important to refresh the basics, cement their knowledge, and have a good foundation of understanding before pressing forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy to forget what you've learned isn't it? I managed to pitch a couple of feature ideas so will keep working on more to send next week. I find once you start going again, it's important to keep the momentum going otherwise it's so easy for a week orva month or more to go by and no pitches sent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so easy to forget what you've learned isn't it? I managed to pitch a couple of feature ideas so will keep working on more to send next week. I find once you start going again, it's important to keep the momentum going otherwise it's so easy for a week orva month or more to go by and no pitches sent.

    ReplyDelete