Sunday, 23 February 2014

Magazines are everywhere!

Walk in to any newsagents or supermarket and you will find rack upon rack of magazines. A recent foray into Tesco revealed magazines on just about any conceivable subject known to man: countryside, cookery, cross stitch, dogs, cats, birds, wildlife, trains, knitting, running, walking, dancing, tattoos, photography, railways - you name it, it was probably there somewhere!

So when writers say that they have nothing to write about I'd advise them to go along to their newsagents or local supermarket and take a look at the magazines on display. They have to try and stop themselves from thinking, I'm not an expert on anything so why would the editors of these magazines even bother with my pitch. STOP RIGHT THERE! That's no way to think!

Start to turn your negative thoughts into positive actions and look at the types of magazines you read and they type of things you're interested in. For instance: I like to bake and decorate cakes - I'm not a professional but I dabble in it; I like walking in the countryside (that's two potential magazine markets in one hit!); I have two cats, I like photography and aspire to be a better one, I live by a steam railway, and have been known to do cross stitch and other crafts. I also like wildlife. Right there I could already pitch at least two ideas to at least 8 magazines.

It doesn't matter if you're an expert in that field or not - amateur experience and knowledge will get you somewhere. And, you can always find experts, if you need them, who will be only too happy to help you. So no more excuses. Get down to your seller of magazines next week, have a browse and a buy a couple of them and get reading. Then order some back copies and read them - then you're ready to get some ideas together and pitch them.

There's nothing more exciting than finding a potential market for your articles that just clicks with you!

Happy clicking!

Julie xx

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Julie. I think I have a wide range of interests, but am consequently spread quite thinly i.e. I am not an expert in any field. But a big part of journalism is getting quotes from experts to add flesh to an article. So the writer/journalist does not have to be the expert.

    Colin

    ReplyDelete