Thursday, 22 November 2012

Every little helps

There are thousands of magazines out there. Magazines that need articles for every issue. The editors are not going to source all their articles from in-house readers. What they want are freelance writers who can give them what they want: good copy. Go to any newsagents or supermarket and you will find row upon row of racks of magazines on any subject you care you imagine.

So it isn't beyond the realms of fantasy to imagine yourself picking up a couple of these magazines, taking them home, market researching them, think of an idea for an article appropriate for that magazine, pitching it, getting the okay from the editor, writing it, having it published and getting paid for it, is it?

Some writers, and I have been guilty as charged on this before, won't push themselves and their ideas forward to editors because they mistakenly think they can't write an article that the editors will buy. Well they can, if they do their homework and pitch it to the right person, at the right time, in the right way. Persistance is key.

It can also be good experience and a way in to magazines if you start with writing a letter to the letter's page. You could earn some money that way too. Every Little Helps - to borrow a well known supermarket's catch phrase!

Try it and see what happens.

Happy writing
Julie

7 comments:

  1. Great post Julie, I want to start concentrating on articles again now for a while. I may just go and browse a few newsagents this weekend and pick one at random to try and write for. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie, I've identified and purchased a couple of magazines, so now I'm going to read them cover to cover, and get a feel for their style, and content. Then I'll try brain storming a few ideas.

    Great post! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Di! I know you'll find something to write for. Good luck.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great news, Maria! I shall look forward to reading your published articles.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got an update on my article writing too. I also have identified some new markets I haven't tried before and will pitching to them soon. Well I pitched one idea to one of them today - we'll see what happens.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to buy a new magazine I've not looked at every month. If nothing else, it broadens your horizons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suppose it does - depending on which magazines you buy, Simon! ;0)

    ReplyDelete