Friday, 14 September 2012

Time? I Don't Have the Time to Think About Time!

Time. There never seems to be enough of it. And when there is some left over at the end of the day - we often neither have the inclination or the strength to do anything with it! At some point in their careers, writers struggle with finding time to write: life happens, kids happen, a leaky roof or a broken down boiler happen, a computer virus happens. It's inevitable. Life has a habit of throwing obstacles in our way and sometimes it's like trying to balance on a unicycle whilst juggling four or more balls in the air - or trying to keep ten plates spinning at once. Not easy.

But the things we want most in our lives are often never the easiest to obtain. And writing is no exception. I know that I have to make a real effort sometimes to make the time to write. But as my writing is particularly important to me I know I have to juggle things around to get that time. Quite often I have to just sit in my office and close the door, regardless if my husband's moaning, my aunt phones, the weather's nice outside and I fancy a walk or any of the other numerous interruptions that can and do frequently occur - I have to shut that out and get on with my writing. It's what those professional writers do. It's their job - no words on the page = no publication = no money. They soon get motivated!

I've done quite a bit of writing recently and managed to get the next assignment posted to my tutor for the Writers' Bureau course I'm doing (Journalism.) I've got 7 more to do and I'm aiming to do one a month. Several short stories have been subbed and a few articles have been pitched, subbed and some of them have been published! But I could do with more writing time. Couldn't we all? Or maybe too much writing time would be a bad thing? What do you think?

Happy writing

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment