Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Where do we start?

So you want to write articles? Where do you start? I can't write articles and can get them published can I? What? Me? Don't be daft. Don't you need years of training and experience and a degree to do that?  These are questions that I asked myself when I started writing in 2007. The last question stopped me from subbing my writing for a long time. I did not have the confidence or the gall to approach editors with my inferior, amateur, excuses for articles.

It took a lot of time, a lot of reading lots of articles in different publications and starting a blog and a lot of help and coaxing from a very good writing friend to get me to sub an article. Even then, it was to a free publication. I wouldn't entertain that anyone would want to pay me for the rubbish I was churning out. But, eventually, someone did pay me and my confidence grew and I grew as a writer and here we are today! I have a regular slot writing about writing groups in Writers' News (thank you editor!) and I have cracked a new market in the women's fitness area with an article out 8th August!  I now have the confidence to try multiple new markets as I have the proof that I can do it and I have cuttings to show other editors. This has helped me tremendously.

If you are relatively new to this and have got yourself into the mind set that what you are writing isn't good enough. Stick your fingers in your ears and sing, very loudly, LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LAAAAAAA - I'M NOT LISTENING, I'M NOT LISTENING so that you drown out that irritatingly negative nay saying voice then get that article pitched! Yes, there is the possibility that your first pitch(and several after that) might be rejected - but so what? Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? No. You just pick yourself up, dust yourself down and get pitching again. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your writing career. I'm 5 years down the line from when I started and I get rejections all the time but I also get more acceptances. If I worked at it full time, I'd get even more done - but I don't, time is limited as I'm sure it is with most of us, so I get by and do what I can.

Why not give it a go? Promise yourself that you will always give it just one more go, no matter how many rejections you go. You'll never know, otherwise, if your next attempt would have been the one that got published.

Happy writing

Julie

2 comments:

  1. Great post Julie,
    It's the thought of new markets that scare me as I always fear rejection, which is a bit silly as I guess I don't know until I have tried and most of the time I don't try! I really want to get more regular work out there now - thanks to you!
    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go through phases like that too, Di! But you have to take that jump - hard but neccessary!

    Jule xx

    ReplyDelete