Monday, 15 August 2011

You put your left leg in

What are you writing about at the moment? Is it something you know a lot about? Or a subject you know little of? I'm all for writing about what you know, but I do like to go off roading every now and then - it's good for the soul and sanity. It does a writer a good to try something new, gain new skills and experiences. So what are you going to learn next? And, more importantly, what are you going to write about it?

There is an article in anything and articles are everywhere, if you look hard enough. Sometimes the perfect subject is sitting right under our noses - we just don't realise it. Your subject doesn't have to be huge or exciting - the best articles often come out of the mundane and the common. But it's how you handle the topic that counts: get the unusual angle from the usual - make the ordinary the extraordinary.

Whatever you're doing, wherever you're going, make like Worzel Gummidge and put your writing head on; can what you are going to do or where you are going be turned into an article or three? The answer here should always be a resounding YES! If it's a no, you're in the wrong job and you should take another look until you can say yes.

Happy writing

Julie xx

2 comments:

  1. How lovely to see a reference to my hero Worzel Gummidge, I think they are still re-printing the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Worzel when I was a child, Carole - I still do. I loved his antics with Aunt Sally and the head changing was hilarious!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete