Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Nothing ventured ..........

I followed  a bit of my own advice recently abd it's actually starting to pay off. I rell must start listening to myself more often! I know I've mentioned before in this blog the importance of trying new markets and this was brought home to me recentlky when a potenial market I'd had an article publishd in and a further one accepted had a change of editor meaning that my accepoted article became unavvepted and there ws no sale. And to further rub salt in the wound when I tried to pitch to the new editor, the reply was that they liked my ides but weren't preparedto pay freelance writers at the moment! Had I have been a more sensitive soul I might have given up there and then. But I didn't. I politely declined and moved on. Then a market I've had a few articles in isn't taking subs for a couple of months, so that was another potential setback.

It's a tough old job this freeelance writing lark and you have to develop a tough skin to survive it. If one magazine editor's door is closed to you, try knocking on someone else's. I've done just this recently and it's starting to pay off. I've had a pitch accepted in principle by a magazine I've never pitched or subbed to before which is great progress. But I've also had pitches ignored by other magazines I've just started pitching to - you win some, you lose some! But thus stunned silence from these editors will not stop me from trying them again or approaching others. And if it happens to you, it shouldn't stop you either. It's how the game goes: you find a potential market, you study that market, you pitch to the editor, editor says  yay or nay and you either write the article or you pitch it elsewhere! And if you're approaching the right markets that pay - which you should be if you're a professional writer - you get money for it too!

So go on, give it a go. You've got nothing to lose.

Happy writing

Julie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment