Thursday, 11 August 2011

Batten Down the Hatches

I love summer storms. I love the tension as it builds, the heaviness of the air, the electricity buzzing above my head, the deepening and darkening of the skies, the sense of anticipation and the prickle of what is to come. There's a moment, just before the storm breaks, when the heat and humidity is almost too much to bear that makes me feel as though my head is about to explode! It's a bit like that with my writing. I um and ah for what seems like days (sometimes it is, lol!), grumbling away like the beginnings of a storm - I become irritable and can't think straight: I want to write but I just don't know what!

But then comes that first splat of rain, that first clap of thunder and flash of lightening that fractures the sky. Oh the relief! The first word is typed out, followed by another and another and before you know it that first sentence is complete followed by the first paragraph. You have the beginnings of your article! Now it really wasn't that bad was it? All that frustration and irritation over nothing ;0)

So, instead of waiting for your literary thunderstorm to break - pre-empt it and set the thunder rolling before the first flash of lightening. You won't get the words out if you don't sit down with your pen and paper/computer. And you won't get the commissions from editors if you don't pitch them - don't be shy and don't think that you can't do it or there's someone else who can do it better than you. The only person who can stop you from getting that commission is you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take my own advice and pull myself together and bally well go and write something!

Happy writing

Julie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment