Saturday, 30 July 2011

You can do it

When I look back to when I first started writing, I can't believe just how much I have achieved. Now, this isn't a boastful blog, far from it. I just want to show those of us who are just starting out, or are struggling, reeling from rejections what they can achieve if they stick with it.

I started out writing letters to magazines and newspapers. When I'd had a fair bit of success with those (they also served as a form of stress relief, getting stuff that annoyed me off my chest, LOL!) I gained in confidence and moved onto writing articles for NAWG (National Association of Writers' Groups). When they published my articles, I started this blog and a fellow writer suggested that I might edit some of my blog postings and expand on them, maybe adding some quotes in. I was a little reluctant at first, but I did it, and I got published in magazines that paid me for my writing!

But when you're struggling, and attracting rejections like a magnet, it can be difficult to brush them off and carry on writing and submitting. But carry on is what you much do! If you want to be published and get paid for your writing you have to be determined, But it's not just a case of keeping at it blindly, you have to research your market and target it in the right way - you have to learn to evolve and try new markets. I am the first person to admit that in the past I was reluctant to try new markets, but not any more. You have to be versatile and be able to adapt your writing style to be a successful writer. Don't just write about what you like to write about. Come out of your comfort zone and try something new. It isn't easy but the rewards are many: the satisfaction that you've broken into a new market, another string to your writing bow and something extra to put on your writing CV, learning a new skill, or knowledge.

Happy searching for your next writing project - make sure it's something you haven't considered before!

Julie xx

4 comments:

  1. Well done YOU! You have stuck at it and it is now reaping dividends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Carole,

    Thank you! It just goes to show what you can do if you keep with it! You've done brilliantly as well - you're much more prolific than I am.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just discovered this blog of yours Julie. Again you are absolutely right - it does take some effort leaving that comfort zone but it is worth while. I used to only write short stories, then ventured out with novels (loads of hard work there) and now I write articles for Writers Voice which is the Fellowship of Australian Writers magazine. But, I have to say writing short stories is still my most favourite kind of writing. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Diane!

    Glad you found me over here too. I love writing short stories. There's something very satisfying about it. But I also love the contrast between fiction and non-fiction.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete