Monday, 18 July 2011

It ain't over till the last editor sings!

Excellent post over on Simon Says about how he had pitched an idea to an editor, the editor asked him to revise it, which Simon did and he got the commission! There's dedication for you. The thing is, though, earlier that day, before I read his post, I had a similar situation with an editor and I revised my pitch and got the commission too! There's spooky!

It also taught me a valuable lesson. The editor said that my pitch was too vague and the article would have had too much breadth with not enough depth. The editor was quite right. So what am I going to do about that in future? I'm going to sharpen my pitches and be more specific and clear in them. One article = one topic/theme.

Happy writing

Julie xx

4 comments:

  1. Which just proves that we didn't make a mistake because we have learned from this expereince!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very useful post Julie and I agree, Simon's was great too. It's nice to think that the editors got back to you both and pointed out the problems. I recently sent what I now feel is a duff pitch and heard nothing back at all, so have to blame myself for that. Learning from you both, thanks. Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as we learn from our experiences and use them to improve our writing then it's okay, Simon!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Di!

    I hate it when you hear nothing back - so frustrating as you don't have any idea how far off the mark you are.
    We'll keep going, though, eh?!

    Julie xx

    PS So annoyed that I can't even comment on my own blog under my own name! ;0)

    ReplyDelete