Friday, 22 July 2011

Bits and Pieces

I had some great news yesterday in that one of my articles that I based on a recent workshop I did for my writers' groups has been accepted for publication! I'd been thinking about offering to do a workshop for a while but I put it off until I was asked if I wanted to do something - I jumped at the chance! It was a wonderful experience and I got an article out of it.

Have you ever thought of doing a workshop? It doesn't have to be for your writing group - you might not belong to one - but you could do it for it for other groups, or get a group of fellow writers together and give it a go. It was such a positive experience for me and the group got a lot of it too. It was a feel-the-fear-and-do-it-anyway- moment for me and was such a confidence boost. We had a lot of fun and it's given me the motivation to do more.

Have a think about what you could do for your writing group or a group of writers, do it and then write about it. You might think that you can't do it or won't be able to do it well, but you can! And it will help with your writing as well. If you can stand up in front of a group of people and do a workshop, it will give you the confidence to broaden your horizons and improve your writing.

Before you give a talk/do a workshop go to a few yourself and learn what works and what doesn't. Make sure that you have researched what you are going to talk about/do and have prepared thoroughly - there's nothing worse than arriving at a workshop you are doing and you don't know what your going to do!

It's definitely worth considering.

Happy writing

Julie xx

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant news about the article. I'm just launching some women's magazine short story writing workshops which is something I've wanted to do for a while and finally got organised enough to start. First is later this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Helen

    Thank you! I bet you're looking forward to doing your workshops. They'll be brilliant.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder where you find a workshop and how to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jenny,

    I tend to look on-line or in local newspapers, libraries, etc, for details of any upcoming workshops in my area. Or look out for local writers' groups who may be doing workshops in your area.

    As for organising a workshop yourself, you need to find a suitable venue and think about how much you want to charge people to attend, and how you're going to advertise it. It helps if you are a published writer and can use those credentials to attract people to your workshops. It might be worth discussing it with your local council for any tips they may have on the legalities of doing a workshop.

    You may want to consider doing workshops at a couple of local schools in the new school year. Again, the council will be able to help you there. You may need a CRB check (Criminal Records Bureau) before you start, but I believe the rules are changing on that one soon.

    Maybe your local library would be interested in letting you run a workshop? Or, to start with, you could maybe do one for friends as a pilot and take it from there.

    Good luck!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete