Friday, 1 April 2011

The Tables Were Turned..........

Today, myself and a few other Wrekin Writers got papped for the local paper. I'd written a couple of articles for the paper's supplements and, after they'd read my blog, they asked me to do a piece on Wrekin Writers. So I keenly obliged. It's also proof of what a good blog can do for your writing. Editors can check you out.

It was an interesting experience for me as it's usually me taking the photos and interviewing people. The tables were definitely turned. I'm not a huge fan of having my photograph taken. I'd rather be the interviewer that the interviewee,  but the photographer was very good (and extremely brave, bless him!) Unless you are a Wrekin Writer or have seen Wrekin Writers out on their jollies, you don't know what we Wrekin Writers are like when we get together - we behaved ourselves impeccably, though. We had to: our good reputation was at stake!

I was fascinated by the photographer's camera, lenses and other gadgetry he had with him. I definitely had lens envy! His camera and lens was bigger than mine. I yearn for the day when I can afford to buy some decent photography equipment and learn how to use it, <sighs wistfully>.

It's always worth checking out writing opportunities with your local papers and magazines. They might not pay much, if anything at all, but it's good writing experience and great PR. It's where I started and it's great to have the opportunity to do it again. I'm not a great advocate for writers writing for free - you wouldn't expect a plumber to refit your bathroom for free, after all. And writing is a trade just as plumbing is. They deal with ball cocks and washers and we deal with words. But, I see the benefits of sometimes writing for free and it can lead to other things.

Happy writing!

Julie xx

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.. the latest photo of me in a local mag was far from flattering, but I suppose any new is better than nothing, Julie. Hope your photos are a great success. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Carole

    That's a shame. I hope the piece they put about Wrekin Writers in the paper gets us some good publicity! I hopoe the photos don't scare anyone off!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete