Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Ready For Anything!

If you are a writer it's important to be prepared. This was highlighted for me yesterday when I went to an interview in my local area. I dropped my daughter off at school and walked down to the venue. I took a photo of the building and walked in where I was greeted by the young lady who I had been told would be answering my questions.

It all went rather well as she gave me a tour and I took few more photographs. Then she mentioned that a couple more people would be coming to talk to me too. I thought they might be service users so imagine my surprise when three directors from the project walked in!  I was a bit taken aback but it was a fantastic experience and I enjoyed every minute of it. But up until now, I've been more used to interviewing local people from local groups  -  the grass roots people  and not the people who help shape the local communities.

The lesson here is that if you want to be a freelance writer you have to look and think like one. Preparation and how you present yourself to the people you are interviewing or approaching for information is crucial. It's no use going into it half-heartedly or you will run the risk of not only editors or potential interviewees not taking you seriously, but also yourself not taking you seriously. If you don't believe in yourself and your freelance writing abilities no-one else will.

Okay, I wasn't expecting what I walked into yesterday, but at least I'd prepared for it: I'd dressed smartly, taken all my equipment - camera, dictaphone, notebook and pen - read up about the place I was going to and, most importantly, even though I was a little nervous, I kept calm and concentrated on the job in hand. As a result I got the information and photos I needed and it was an enjoyable experience for all those concerned.

So get out there and get interviewing! But don't forget to be ready for anything

Julie



2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Julie, you are a brave Writer. I would have been hopeless in that situation. I guess it's what you have been recently saying and getting out of the comfort zone. I shall try to do this in the future ( as long as there are chickens involved!) Seriously though you do inspire me to try harder. I hve some great ideas but no confidence to see them through.
    Well done! Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it, Di!

    It's like most things in life, the more you do it the better you'll be and less anxious you'll be. I love getting out and about - I've found so many interesting things and fascinating people to write about!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete