I've got a challenge for you. When I first started thinking about writing articles I had this nagging thought in the back of my mind that no-one would want to read the drivel I wrote. It put me off submitting anything for months. That was until I started this blog and a fellow blogger suggested that I edit a couple of my blog postings and sent them off to a writing magazine. I thought my fellow blogger was out of his mind, but I did as I was told and, what do you know, they got published and someone even parted with their well earned cash for them! I couldn't believe my luck.
Now I realise that it's not down to luck at all. It's down to a lot of hard work and research and having the balls to actually submit your pitches/articles in the first place. You can't be a shrinking violet in this game. So here is my challenge to you (and myself.) I declare May 'I Very Dare You,' month:
1. Go to a newsagent you don't normally frequent.
2. Browse the shelves of the newsagent and look at two magazines you don't normally buy.
3. Does it look like they use contributions from freelance writers? If they do, purchase the magazines. If they don't, look at more magazines until you find two that do and buy them.
4. When you get home, look through the magazines very carefully, taking note of who their readership is, the style/tone of the articles, the adverts, reader letter page - everything.
5. Pick out a word that you think describes each magazine (theme) and write it down in the middle of a big piece of paper.
6. Make a spidergram (ideas shooting off from the main word) of ideas for articles you could write for each of those magazines.
7. Choose the best ideas you come up with and pitch them to the appropriate editor of those magazines.
8.If you get a positive response - hurrah! - well done you and get researching/writing the article.
9.If you get a negative response - boo - never mind and try other ideas you came up with.
10, Repeat the journey to the newsagents at least twice in the month of May and repeat steps 2 - 10 until you are published!
Go on - I very dare you!
And don't forget to let us know how you get on!