Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Sweaty Palms and a Dry Mouth

Normally, If anyone were to ask me to stand up in front of an audience and speak I would probably do it but it wouldn't be a comfortable experience for me. But as a writer, who hopes to have a book or two published one day, in this modern world authors are expected to give talks and meet and greet their readers as well as advertising and market their work. So I sought the opinions of other writers and a Business and Culture Change Motivational Speaker who have given talks in how they prepare for their talk and how they got over their nerves.

The resulting article has just been published in the May Issue of Writers' Forum. So if you don't like giving author talks because your nerves get the better of you, or  you've done a few and want to improve your technique, have a read of the article. I wrote it a while back and the funny thing is that as I was researching and writing it I found a new confidence in speaking - so much so that last Saturday I plucked up the courage to do a workshop for the writers' group I belong to and I wasn't nervous at all! I should listen to my own advice and that of other writers more often! I'd definitely recommend feeling the fear and doing it any way. I and the group had a wonderful time - such fun!

Happy writing and speaking

Julie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment