Thursday, 30 December 2010

A place for everything ........

.........and everything in its place is to be my new article writing mantra in 2011. For too long I have allowed my hallowed writing place to be a slovenly disaster zone: piles of papers everywhere, magazines I no longer need, lists and agendas and note books and pens that don't work, you name it it's there. Well at least it was until this afternoon. Oh yes I've had my annual post Xmas/pre- New Year clear out. One could make the observation that if I kept my writing area clean and tidy all year round I wouldn't have to resort to this mammoth task. But hey ho! Maybe that's something I can work on this year.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy some box files so I can divide my notes and works in progress into articles, short stories and novels. That way I think I won't behave like a kid in a sweet shop, my eyes eagerly darting between which delight I'm going to work on and then, because my work is all over the place, end up doing precisely nothing. I already have a new whiteboard up so I can plan my writing better and I can put my ideas down on there as soon as they come to me so I can work on them later, rather than scribbling them down on tatty pieces of paper and leaving them all over the house.

I recognise that in order to take my writing seriously and get it to where I want it to be, I'm going to have to smarten my act up and get more organised and professional. Let's see if, even in these unfavourable financial times, I can get my sales count up.

Have a reshuffle, a tidy up, a clear out yourself and see what you can achieve! It's certainly cheered me up - an uncluttered workspace = an uncluttered mind = greater productivity.

Good luck with your writing in 2011.

Julie xx

5 comments:

  1. I'm in the process of moving my writing room from one part of the house to another, so being forced to sort things out along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your new room is great, Helen! And what a good way to have a sort out!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep meaning to tidy up - this year for sure.

    ;0)

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good for the writing soul, Suzanne! Takes a bit of time and patience but once it's done it's done. The hard part is keeping it tidy!

    Happy New Year

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dunno - any excuse to go to Staples!

    Hope you spent lots and enjoyed it :-)

    ReplyDelete