Saturday, 27 November 2010

All Change

I had a change round this month. Instead of having an article published where I was the one asking the questions, this time the tables were turned and I was the one being interviewed. Sally Quilford has done a fantastic job, as she always does, and in her monthly Writers' Forum column she's included an interview she did with me talking about Wrekin Writers and our annual Doris Gooderson short story comp. It's in the January 2011 issue of the mag (out now in all good newsagents!)

I hadn't realised it would be out so soon (neither did Sally!) So it was a lovely surprise to see it when I flicked through the magazine. If you don't read this magazine, I would suggest that it wouldn't be a bad idea to start reading it. I've been reading it each month now for almost 4 years and the advice and interviews contained within it's pages haven't done me any harm. They have, in fact, enhanced my own writing. I'm so proud that I've had a couple of articles published in there myself as well - something I never thought would happen. But it did! It can be done if you persevere.

It's always a pleasure to flaunt the many virtues of the  wonderful Wrekin Writers too and raise our profile a little! I still haven't got over our last retreat. I don't think I got over the first one I went to two years ago either. I don't think I'll ever be the same again! A great writing group is worth it's weight in gold and I'm lucky enough to be involved in one of the best. I don't think I'd have dared submit half of what I do get out there without their help and support. Thank you!

My writing plans for this coming week are to finish NaNo, which I'm on target to do by tomorrow. Then I'll be straight back on to my articles, pitching ideas ready for next year.  I'm keen to explore different magazines next year and target them. I feel like stretching my wings a bit. It's good for writers to change direction every now and then and keep their ideas and writing fresh and exciting.

Talking of fresh, it's a bit nippy out there today and I see we have a sprinkling of the white stuff this morning.

Happy writing!

Julie xx

6 comments:

  1. Oh fab Julie, I cant wait to see it. You are truly becoming a star now! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Di,

    Thanks! You're a star too as that picture of you all up the Wrekin is in there! It was interesting to be on the other side of the fence so to speak. Sally Quilford is an excellent writer and interviewer.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know what it is like to be interviewed, has it changed the way that you'll interview others in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on being interviewed in Writers' Forum.

    I agree a good writing group is invaluable. I love our group which is a constant creative inspiration & support.

    Good luck finishing NaNo.

    And thank you for visiting my blog recently.

    Kat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Simon,

    Only that I'll be thinking more carefully about the questions I'll ask in future.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Kat

    I'd be lost without my writers' group! They are so wonderful. I enjoyed being interviewed by Sally for Writers' Forum but I'm even more thrilled for the group getting their name in there.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete