Monday, 20 September 2010

Small but beautiful

I had three surprises on the filler writing front yesterday (Why do they all seem to come at once?) When I was in the dinner hall at school,  one of the other lunch time assistants told me that she'd seen my beauty tip in Prima magazine (Nov issue.) That will be £25 coming my way soon then. When you consider that it's £25 for probably as many words it's not a bad gig! Prima and Essentials mag are always on the look out for tips etc, both general and themed. Have a look on their website, or better still, get the mags themselves and indulge yourself with a cuppa and some biccies while you do your 'research.'

The second and third surprises were both in the Nov issue of Writers' Forum. I had a letter in response to my previous article on NaNoWriMo and I supplied some quotes for Sally Quilford's column too on judging short story comps (thank you Sally!)

So not a bad day at all really. The only perplexing thing that happened in evening was when I went to meet the Morris Dancers at their practice session but they weren't there! I met a nice lady, though, who had also come - she'd been in their team a few years ago and wanted to rejoin them. We had a nice chat as we waited. Then we ventured to the leisure centre where we thought they might have gone instead . We had a giggle too. When we arrived at the leisure centre it was deserted.  A light was flickering and we could hear a faint whistling coming from down the long corridor. I said, "isn't this how really bad horror films always start! It was freaky! Anyway, the morris dancers weren't there either so we gave up and went home! They're probably down the pub somewhere.

Happy writing  - get those tips and fillers out there £25 is a printer cartridge or two or a couple of small moleskine notebooks  -  well worth the minimal effort!

Julie xx

8 comments:

  1. I love Prima and have submitted many tips (never been published though) and am currently trying to think of a life story for their 6 story spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Bethany,

    How are you? I love Prima too (especially when they publish my tips!) It's just a case of persevering and sending lots in to them. I've had a few in there now, but I've sent in loads that didn't get in.

    I tried for that 6 story spot too but didn't get in. I suppose I should have tried again (ie, listened to my own advice!) But I never got round to it. I hope you do well with it.

    Take care

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Julie! I shall have to go and get Prima, what a great idea and £25 for a filler is excellent, hope you spoil yourself.
    Di x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Di!

    I love Prima. Well worth trying them.
    Red Rupert says hi to Bluey!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh - the disappearing Morris Dancers ... now there's an idea for NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,Simon!

    Yes where are the morris dancers and what are they doing! It's okay, though, I found them again - or rather they found me! I'm going up next week!

    Thanks for sending the mag by the way!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Julie :-) - and as Simon says, what a story starter with the Morris Dancers! I feel quite inspired myself - perhaps a whodunit where they were all foudn round the back, strangled with their own braces... :-)
    I had a WiseWords filler published in the October issue and have submitted a poem to them - nothing ventured, nothing gained! I have no idea when/if they let people know on the poem front - I take it from your post that having tips published is the same as WiseWords. You only know when you/someone else sees it, or you get a cheque through the door! (Nice mail to open, though! :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know, Alison - the morris dancers could get up to all sorts in a story couldn't they!! Like the murder mystery idea! I'm seeing them tonight - unless something's happened to them all!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete