Thursday, 30 September 2010

mini success

Because my writing time has been reduced recently I've been sending little snippets out. The result of this is that I had a letter published in the local newspaper and a filler article published in the local school governor magazine. Nothing big or paid for but just enough to keep the writing flow going and give me  boost!

I've also started to send out my writing CV to magazines. I've sent one out so far and think I might send out a couple more. There is no harm in trying and it might get my foot in the door to at least show them I'm a serious writer who can deliver the goods. It might come to nothing but I'll try anything once! That's the thing with writing - you have to learn to take the risk of a) not being allowed to pitch to certain publications; b) being able to pitch but having them declined at every turn; or c) writing the article but being told it's not quite what they were looking for!  But there is always the chance that you will be successful - that's a risk I'm willing to take. What about you?

Happy writing

Julie

8 comments:

  1. Well done Julie, I agree, even the little snippets count towards writing experience. I was thrilled when I saw my letterin Writers News this month, my first one too. It's given me the boost I needed to write more letters.
    Keep sending out that cv!
    Love Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get lots of writing work from sending the cv out.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. Even the little triumphs count don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the Writers' News new issue yet but I'll have a look for your letter when I do. Well done, Di!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Suzanne

    So do I! You never know really. But I'm keen to get more articles published.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Helen,

    They certainly do!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I sent a query letter to an editor six months ago and heard nothing. Then two weeks ago, the editor contacted me because another writer had let him down and he now had a slot he desperately needed filling in his magazine. Could I go with my query idea, and could I do it in 24 hours?

    It was hard work, but I did it (and the payment was worth it too), but it only happened because I sent out that initial query several months ago.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It doesn't hurt to try does it, Simon. And in your case well done! It does pay off sometimes.

    ReplyDelete