Sunday, 29 August 2010

A welcome boost

I know I haven't written any articles in recent months but I have had one published in Writers' Forum (Oct Issue) out now in all good newsagents! It was a great feeling to see my article in print and  it has given my confidence a boost - particularly so as I had confirmation from the editor that he would publish another of mine too!  Great news.

The article was about NaNoWriMo  - the write 50,000 words of a novel in a month madness from America! You may recall I did this for the first time last November, alongside two other Wrekin Writers, Sue and Jenny and the lovely Suzanne Jones in blogland (thank you for contributing!) All three feature in my article, as does just over 300 words of the nonsense I wrote for NaNo! It is a great example of writing what you know and using your experience of something you've tried or do regularly and turn it into an article.

It's given me the inspiration and motivation I needed to get going on the articles again. I also want to finish the journalism course I'm doing with The Writers' Bureau - so I can kill two birds with one stone and submit the articles I write for the course to magazines.

I have been concentrating on my short stories for a while and was really surprised and  pleased to discover that I've actually managed to submit six short stories to various magazines over the six week school hols, with another two about to go in the next few days. So that will be eight in total  -  I can live with that.  It's shown me what I am capable of when I put my mind to it and make the time to write. Whether any of them will be published is a different matter, but you can't blame a girl for trying.

If you should happen to see my article in Writers' Forum, take a look at it and tell me what you think about it. I always like to do a post mortem on my articles to see what I could have done better or what worked really well so I can improve on my article writing technique for the next one. It might be an interesting exercise to read other people's articles in this analytic way and see how you would have written it. Then you could have a go at writing an article, using the  tips you picked up from your analysis, and submit it. See what happens.

Happy writing

Julie xx

10 comments:

  1. It's a terrific article, Julie - informative and entertaining.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great! Having three NaNoWriMo 'case study' writers, works well. For some reason odd numbers provide the right balance. Apparently, it's like gardening, you should always put plants together in clumps of 3, 5 or 7! Case studies work best in clumps of 3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the Writers' Forum article! It was great to turn to the contents page and be able to say "I know that face"! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I haven't picked up a copy of Writer's Forum for years, quite possibly since I wrote a piece for them back in 2002. I subscribe to Writing Magazine and for some reason feel quite loyal to it, but you've reminded me that I should check out WF too!

    What's your second article going to be, Julie?

    Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Suzanne

    You were a wonderful interviewee too! How does it feel to be Writerss' Forum?! Hopefully you might get more blog followers as a result.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't thought of it like that before, Simon, but I think you're right! I shall always think of three from now on when I'm article planning.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Nicola, how are you?

    It was a shock to see my mush in the contents page too - although I knew the article was going to be in there, I hadn't expected my face in there! Sorry if it frightened anyone - editor should have put a warning on the front cover like they do in Take A Break if they are putting any gruesome pics in!!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Alex

    There you go then, an ideal opportunity to get back into the swing of Writers' Forum! My next article in there is one I wrote a while back and thought had been forgotten or rejected so I was chuffed to have it accepted. It's about how to get over your nerves with public speaking and promoting your writing etc.

    I'll have to come up with more article ideas now I've got a few short stories off my chest!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done on the publication. I've got one coming up in WF too. Think it's in next month's issue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Helen and many thanks.

    Congratulations on your article too - I shall look forward to reading it next month.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete