Sunday, 1 August 2010

Keeping an eye out

So how is the article writing going these days? Is anyone having any success? I have to admit that I'm still trapped in the land of short stories at the moment and enjoying every minute of it. It's as though my brain has sent my creative writing on a package holiday to short story. I am, however, keeping one eye on the articles. I've sent a list of questions off to various Morris Dancers (you may recall I went to watch some practice a few weeks ago and they've gallantly allowed me to write about them.) I'm doing the interviews via e-mail and did one face to face (because the bloke I interviewed was only there for one night and was then going back down South and I wanted to catch him while I could!)

I like all forms of interview except over the phone. I don't know why I don't like it - I haven't the technology to record it so I find myself frantically scribbling down what the interviewee is saying and can I read my notes afterwards? NO! Mind you the one I did with someone in the USA was great.

I'm still searching for article ideas and pitching occasionally, but not to the extent I was before. I find I'm getting the same old story at the moment and I'm getting a sense of how Mary and Joseph felt when they were told there was no room at the inn. But things will no doubt improve. Ever the optimist!

Here's something that cheered me up. I had a funny thing happen with a pitch. I pitched an article to one of the writing mags about how writers might find alternative markets for their work in the face of the recession when many mags are folding or editors aren't taking submissions from freelancers but going in-house for their material. The editor replied that he thought it was too negative. So I re-pitched with a more positive slant to which the editor said he liked it had no space in his magazine at the moment but to try again next year! The very tip of one of my points in the article - editors not taking any subs from freelancers because they had no space in the mags! Oh I did laugh!

Next week I'll be concentrating on my short stories again - I have a few I want to get out there. I already have four out there doing the rounds now. Once I've done that and I've got the answers back from the Morris Dancers, I'll be formulating that article, along with a couple of articles I've had in the pipeline about local issuse. I've still yet to get to my NaNo novel edit! So much to do, so little time. I really must calm my butterfly mind. I'm sure I'd get a lot more writing done if I could just slow my fluttering mind down a tad and focus on one thing at a time. I'm just glad it's the school hols and I've had time to get some writing done. I've surprised myelf by how much I actually have done  -  it's amazing what you can achieve when you set your mind to it. But today is my day off  -  if a writer can ever have such a thing.

Happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

  1. You sound so much like me and that's a good thing. So much to write, so little time. What a great place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't sent out many pitches recently due to time restrictions, but I've been steadily working my way through a couple an editor has already said yes to. That's been enough to keep me busy alongside the short stories. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one L'Aussie! And yes, being overrun with ideas is much better than having none at all - hurrah for the creative mind! Where does it all come from though? Honestly, some nights I'm waking up two or three times scribbling ideas down that have just pinged, seemingly out of nowhere, into my head for no apparent reason! How very dare they!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Helen

    That's the trouble - I seem to do a little flurry of activity on the article writing front then it all goes quiet for a while. Then, just when I think I'm never going to pitch or write another article ever again, I get another flurry!

    Mind you, I'm quite happy pootling along with my short stories at the moment - it's become a personal challenge: I ruddy well will get some short stories published in the UK women's magazines! I'm certainly having fun trying - and what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger!

    Good luck with al of your writing projects too.

    Julie xx



    Good luck with yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take it you've tried pitching to the other writing magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No room at the inn anywhere, Simon! Sad but true - never mind. There's always next year!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete