Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Out And About Again

It has to be said that there is something about getting an assignment finished for my journalism course and posting it off that gets the creative juices flowing again. I've said before that I've struggled with finding the time and the inclination to complete this course. I started it last October and I'm only on Assignment four of fifteen! Having no deadlines is one of the problems, I think!

I haven't been as enthusiastic about my article writing as I usually am for a while now and I think despondency had set in which had led to inertia. All that changed last night. I had the good fortune to go and watch some local morris dancers who practice just up the road from where I live at the local school. And what an experience it was! They were great and I managed to interview one of the founding members who had come up from Devon. I'm going again next week to get more interviews and, hopefully, some photos.

I'm well on my way with assisgnment four, of which an article about the morris dancers will be part of. I just have to get my priorities back into sync and  push forward with giving more emphasis and importance on my writing rather than some of the other stuff in my life that I can afford to either let go or put on the back burner. Prioritising what we want in our lives is a big part of our writing. Life will always get in the way and if we want to be published it's up to us to make the best of the writing time we have.

So over the next 2.5 weeks before the schools break up for the 6 week's hols I shall be finishing off assignment four and pitching more articles - I also have four short stories that I need to edit and send out. Busy, busy, busy! I'd rather have a lot of writing ideas and a couple of projects on the go than none at all, though!

Happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

  1. The Morris Dancing article sounds brilliant, I love them. If I wasn't in my job I think that's what I would do! Good luck and well done for getting so motivated, it's difficult when you have other things to do, but like you say, we have to keep on!
    Love Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, now we know what your secret is! A couple of Morris Men and your creative juices start flowing again! It's okay ... your secret is safe with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are a great bunch of guys an they have a women's section too, Di, so I'll be catching up with them next week. I'd love to have a go at it too! Maybe we should bring some bells and hanky's to the Wrekin Writer meetings and have a quick Morris before we start!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what it is with men and creative juices, Simon! First the archers now the Morris dancers - are there any groups of men in Shropshire that are safe?!!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about an article on the curious things that get writers' creative juices flowing? You could lead in with your Archers and your Morrisers and then interview a selection of other scribes about their odd little ways to get back into the writing saddle? Go on! Pitch it to WM!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Alex, have you just thrown doem the gauntlet for me?!! Challenge accepted, Sir!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete