Wednesday, 16 June 2010

Course or no course?

As you know I started a Writers' Bureau Journalism course back in October 2009 and I'm still going with it now. Only my enthuasism for it dwindled when I received what I thought was a bit of strange advice in the feedback I got back on one of my assignments. It's made me reluctant to write the next assignment. But I'm determined to carry on regardless to the bitter end! It was nothing drastic but having submitted and had published many articles I'm not sure the advice I was given helped really.

This begs the question: do I need to do the course? Well yes, I think I do. I've read all the course material through and I've learned a lot I didn't know before. And I've had some good feedback on the assignments I've done. So I just have to grit my teeth and get the next assignment finished and sent it. Once I get on a roll again I know I can finish this course before the year's out -  which was the original plan. The school summer hols are coming up soon so I'm hoping to get assignment three and four and five (5 weeks) done before school's out and six, seven and eight  in the holidays themselves. That will give me three months to get the rest done!

What I need is my fellow bloggers to keep me on track and kick me at regular intervals to make sure I ruddy get on with it! No excuses - no mercy! Will you do that for me? Ta!

I'm interviewing some morris dancers on Monday for a couple of articles and also I'm going back soon to the lovely amateur dramatic group I spent some time with last year and wrote a couple of articles and a review of one of their plays, so I'm looking forward to that (thank you Mike!)

It's my writing group meeting on Saturday - time to get my fix! I always feel energised and enthusiastic about my writing when I've been there  - I think it's everyone's successes we hear about and the general buzz is infectious!

Don't forget to let me know if you want to join my private blog and join in the debate and look at published articles to see what we can learn about how to improve our own articles. I've posted one of my published articles, the original pitch and the manuscript on there already but so far I'm Jilly No Mates in there ;0) So come on - someone keep me company please! I'll make a nice cake and we'll have a brew while we're at it.

Good luck with your writing!
Julie xxx

8 comments:

  1. As I said on another of your blogs, Julie, I'd love to join your private blog and join the discussion...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie, I will bring my football boots on Saturday to start the kick off! I admire you continuing with the course as well as all the other things you are doing.
    I have been trying to make time to comment on your other blog,but wanted to give it some time (not a lot of it at the moment) Your story is great and both blogs are a wonderful way of sharing experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to join your article blog, too, please Julie.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, L' Aussie

    Have I not sent you an invite? Oh no! E-mail me your e-mail address and I'll give it another go!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Di!

    We are always so pushed for time aren't we! Cest la vie! There's me moaning last week that no one was joining in when this week I'm going to have the same problem!! Tut, tut! Still we'll get it going soon!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Suzanne

    Have sent you an invite m'dear. Welcome aboard!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember, Julie, the course covers many areas of journalism, some you will enjoy and some you won't. You will have good assignments and bad assignments, purely because some will inspire you, whilst others will not. Just start tackling the next assignment.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be finishing off assignment three tonight, Simon. For some reason I'd got stuck with this one but I think I'm going forward again now! I'm looking forward to the next one!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete