Tuesday, 29 June 2010

Back on track

I sent assignment three of the journalism course I'm doing off late last week. I wouldn't say that it's the best assignment I've ever done but hey ho! It's done and gone - now onto assignment four. Why did I sign up for a course? Oh yes that's right; I wrote an article on are writing courses for you!

Anyway - I've found my pace again with the course and I'm looking forward to working on the next assignment. I was feeling a bit low on the article front as I hadn't sent any articles or proposals out for a while and I started this course last September and here we are 11 months later and I had hoped to have finished it within the year, but it wasn't to be. Maybe 18 years is a more realistic time frame.

That's the thing with writing. I think that all too often we writers put far too much pressure on ourselves by trying to achieve too much at once. It takes a lot of time and patience to produce work of a good enough quality to be published. And it takes a lot of time to research possible outlets for your work and build up a rapport with the editors. So I think the message is: slow down to get the results you want. It's tempting to send off submissions willy nilly that could have done with a bit of maturing time in the drawer before being edited and sent out.

I'm still concentrating on the short story side of my writing at the moment but hope to get back to some article writing soon. But if you'll excuse me I have a date with Gok Wan! For some reason I like watching his Fashion Fix show ( says she who is a regular tomboy with no interest in fashion and that stuff  - I don't even own a skirt or any make up!) shock, horror!!!

Happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

  1. I've just been watching Gok as well Julie.
    I think he's fab!
    I love to see the women he looks after blossoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Julie, look at Simon's example in his latest blog, it is often a slow path to success and as long as we dont give up, that is all that matters.
    I love Gok too, wish he would pay a vist to Wrekin Writers, I would love to get Gok'ed! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what it is about Gok that I find so fascinating, Sue! I love that show though. It's a shame it's the last in the series. I like his cheekiness. He certainly knows what he's talking about as when you look at the women before and after they've been 'Gok'd' they look so much better and seem happier don't they. I wish I walked into a room and there was a 24 piece capsule wardrobe hanging from the ceiling for me!!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simon's an inspiration isn't he, Di. I know he's helped a lot of people too, you and me included. His decision to go full-time with his writing certainly worked for him.

    We'll have to write to Gok and get him in to Wrekin Writers. Can you imagine that?! Perhaps not for his previous series though eh?!!!!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are some members of Wrekin Writers who wouldn;t be able to cope with Gok ... especially if he did his 'naked' series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what I was thinking, Simon! It's like that new show that'son at the moment 'Naked Office' - not that I've seen it of course. But I think we could do without naked writers!!!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete