Wednesday, 19 May 2010

Finding Time

My copy of Writers' Forum came today and I've been reading it with interest, as always! It never fails to bolster my flagging enthusiasm and it sends me into a flurry of writing activity after I've read it. I have to admit that my writing time has been severely squeezed over the past few weeks  -  my fault for taking more things on in my 'real' life but entirely my choice. I only have myself to blame when I don't have any articles to send out!

That's the trouble when life gets in the way and we are forced to push our writing in to the background like a once loved toy that has become all grubby with an eye missing and it's belly in tatters letting the stuffing poke through. But are we forced or do we just use the extra activities we cram into our lives as an excuse not to write? Are we procrastinating? Sometimes I'm not so sure!

Having had my second short story accepted for publication last week I'm still determined to persue that avenue of the writing  -  if only I had the time! If only  - there is that universal cover all excuse! If only I'd done that; if only I hadn't done that; if only I hadn't wasted all that time; if only, if only, if only! I think I need less of the if only and more of the make it happen! What about you?

Happy writing!

Julie xx

4 comments:

  1. I'm still squeezing a bit of time in the week during my lunch time, then treat myself to a whole Sunday morning. It has become a routine now so even though it does not seem like much time, I am getting a lot of writing done. I use my lunch hour to prepare and scribble then go mad in my weekend. Luckily I am off next week so will go bonkers writing every day! Good luck with your future short stories!
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Di

    It's amazing how the time you do have is a lot more than you think and you can often get a lot more written in that time than you thought you could!

    I think snatching those small pockets of time are essential to keep yourself in the habit of writing and 100 words a day soon mounts up!

    I'm off the week after you so I can catch up with some valuable writing time then!

    Good luck with your writing too.

    Julie xx

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're finding the time to do articles and short stories. It's nice to have the balance of doing both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a nice balance, Helen. Plus when I'm stuck with a short story or something just isn't working with it I can switch off and so an article instead to let my brain mull the fiction over while I'm indulging in a bit of non-fiction!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete