Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Trying New Outlets

I had a magazine through the post yesterday with one of my articles in it. You may remember that a few months ago I interviewed several people from the charity Volunteer Reading Help. I managed to get one article in the local paper about them and now this one in Learning Support. The magazine is aimed at Teaching Assistants and it was Sue Ross, a fellow Wrekin Writer and blogger who pointed me in their direction (thank you Sue!)

Because I do reading support in my daughter's school (though not through this charity) I thought an article on this subject might be of interest to a variety of magazines and so far two have taken the article (the wording in each is very different as if you are going to pitch articles on the same subject to different magazines you don't want to clone them - editors don't want to read the article you've given them in another publication!)

I have recieved no payment for either artices. Learning support gave me a copy of the magazine which I can put in my portfolio and I could use it as a taster for other editors from 'paying' magazines who may take articles on a similar subject. In this case working for 'free' has its advantages in that it can lead on to other things. Although I would say that generally you should be paid for your work, if you are just starting out, it can be a good way of getting cuttings to build up your portfolio and get your work published. Writers are divided on the issue of whether writers should write for free - so I'm not going to go into the pros and cons here (we'd be here all day going round in circles!) I think the idea for the articles still have some mileage in them so I'll let you know what else I do with it.

Other article news: although I am concentrating on short story/novel writing at the moment, I've had a couple of ideas for articles that I'm going to pitch to some parenting magazines  -  a group of mags I haven't yet aimed for - so that will be interesting to see what happens there. Plus I will be writing another couple af articles for the local governor magazine. I hope you're having success with your pitches/articles!

Happy writing

Julie xx

3 comments:

  1. Great Julie, it's still a success as you say and all builds up your writing experience. Well done
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Di!

    I'll be hopefully writing a couple more articles for them too whan I get the time to type proper pitches!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete