Monday, 5 April 2010

Article break

I'm having a break from the article writing for a bit (they say a change is as good as a rest, don't they?) I want to focus my attention on my fiction. I did so well last year and up until now with my articles  - much better than I ever envisaged. So I'm hoping that if I can focus my energies on the short story and novel writing throughout the rest of April, I might give myself a fighting chance in getting more short stories published - especially armed with all that I have learned since I last subbed a short story.

I have also been inspired and spurred into action by several other bloggers who have had some success with getting their stories into the women's mags recently: Suzanne Jones, Teresa Ashby, Helen.M. Hunt, Olivia Ryan (aka Sheila Norton) and Sally Quilford, to name but a few. I've read some of their stories in the mags and I have to say they are fantastic, so I am a little but daunted by trying to follow in their talented footsteps and get my stories published in the same mags. Especially with my rather dismal track record last year after my efforts! But I decided, as I'm approaching a big birthday next year, the number must be significant as I sent 40 short stories out - so I hope if I send forty out again before my next birthday (most will be reworked from the 39 that got rejected - sorry - declined) something might stick!

But I'll still be thinking up article ideas and I'm sure a few will come from my fiction writing exeriences too. And I know there are several mags out there I want to try and write my non-fiction for. I'll also be finishing the journalism course which involves a lot of article/feature writing, so I'll still get my fix!

If anything great happens you'll be the first to know  -  if it doesn't, you'll still be the first to know!

Wish me luck as the fiction writing starts in earnest tonight!

Julie xx

6 comments:

  1. I really don't think one hit out of forty submissions when you're starting out is a dismal record at all. I'm sure I sent far more than forty out before I had my first acceptance. Don't be discouraged. It's a tough market but if you've had one acceptance then you've proved you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes good luck Julie, I am sure with your determination and writing talent, you will have success in the fiction side of things. Look forward to hearing how you get on.
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Helen! I think having thirty nine rejections has helped me, though. I know what I'm up against and I'm under no illusion that it's going to be easy. Now I've read many, many more short stories, I feel I'm closer to my goal than I ever was before. I'n also giving the stories to one of my fellow Wrekin Writers who has had short stories published in the women's mags and is a tutor - I didn't do that last time - so it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

    Good luck with your writing too.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Di!

    Thanks. I will give it my best shot!

    Best of luck with your writing too

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kerrie!

    It's sooooo hard though isn't it!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete