Saturday, 27 February 2010

It's in!

My article about archery in Shropshire is in the March Issue of Shropshire Life! I have to say that I'm really pleased with it and it looks better than I ever imagined. I still can't quite believe that it's my work! It's a three pager including my photos. An electronic version of it plus a gallery of my photos can be viewed at http://www.shropshirelifemagazine.co.uk/  under Latest Articles if anyone's interested.

It also shows that it can be done! You can get articles in these magazines if you work hard and pick the right subjects to write about. I used to read Shropshire Life all the time but it never crossed my mind that I would ever get anything I had written in there, but I have. And it's a paying market - always a bonus!

Remember this article was declined by another local glossy magazine because they didn't like the photos - they never even saw the article! So I pitched it to Shropshire Life and they took it - photos and all! So never give up. If one magazine say no, another may say yes.

Shropshire Life are also publishing another article of mine later in the year, so I'm looking forward to seeing that one in print too. I am currently working more on my short stories for the next month or so, but I will be making notes on other articles I could do at a later stage, so I'm ready to go when the urge to do some article writing hits me again.

I've also sent the second assignment off on my Freelance Journalism Course with the writers' Bureau and I'm currently half way through the third assignment on writing letters and fillers to magazines and newspapers. It's all go so I could do with a few more days in the week to do all the writing I want to do! But prioritising and working to deadlines - whether they are self imposed or imposed by editors  - are a good thing and an essential skill for writers to learn.

Happy article writing

Julie xx

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful Julie, congratulations and the photos are lovely, they really get into the spirit of things. Well done
    Ps I never realised they put an electronic copy on too, I will have a good read in while of the whole thing.
    Love Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Di!
    I didn't know they put some of the articles on their website either, until I went on the website a couple of days ago to see when the issue was out! It was a nice surprise to see my article and pics there!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on the publication. Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Helen

    Seeing it in print has given me the motivation I needed to keep going.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete