Sunday, 21 February 2010

Catching Up With Courses

Hurrah! I have finally got round to doing the second assignment of The Writers' Bureau Freelance Journalism Course I started back in October 2009! The reason why I am behind is that just after I enrolled on the course I started getting more articles accepted for publication, and I've been too busy writing articles and getting them accepted to do the course!! Typical - but I'm delighted. I still intend on finishing the course as it looks a fantastic and interesting course and we can all do with improving our writing. I've learned a lot from it already and I'm sure I will continue to do so.

The first assignment was just a simple introductory one for the tutor to get to know me and my style of writing: my background; what I write, why I write; what I want to achieve with my writing. I wrote a piece of sample writing on Much Wenlock Farmer's Market and completed a personal profile questionnaire. I was so pleased with my tutor's positive and encouraging comments on my assignment and she gave me some good pointers on how I might improve.

This second assignment was more indepth as I had to choose a magazine and write a full analysis of it; write an outline of an article I could submit to them and the actual article! It's nothing I haven't done before but it's great practise for me and nice to have it looked at by a professional writer and tutor before I submit it to the magazine - will let you know how I get on!

I must keep on track with this course now as I'd like to finish it in reasonal time and go back to my original plan and do the Open University course I wanted to do so I can get a Diploma in Creative Writing. With one thing and another I had to back out of it at the last minute and I didn't think I'd be able to do a course at all until this October - but as luck would have it circumstances changed and I could do the journalism one. I'd love to do the Writers' Bureau short story writing course as well - so I'm wavering between the two at the moment! Either way I know I'll enjoy it.

I think it does writers good to take a course or two along their writing journey. It's done me the power of good and has certainly improved my writing. As my recent article in Writers' Forum pointed out: there are so many courses out there for writers that it can be difficult for writers to know which courses are best for them. I hope my article helped writers to decide which courses to try and I know I've been lucky with my course choices so far.

My article writing plans this week are to finish the two current articles I'm writing on the subject of writing  and get them submitted. After this I'll be doing assignment three (on letter writing and fillers in magazines / newspapers). Then I will be taking a break from article writing for a while so that I concentrate on the reason I initially started this writing journey: short stories! I will  still be posting on here anything useful that pops into my head to do with article writing and keeping you updated on the progress/fate of any articles I have out there at the moment - I just won't be writing any new ones unless, as does usually happen, I get a great idea for one and am compelled to write it (or I get fed up with the short story writing and start diversion article writing!)

Happy writing

Julie :0)

9 comments:

  1. Learning is a wonderful isn't it? I would love to do another course one day. I did the Writer News Article and Freelance Journalism course several years ago and only just dug out the work book which is full of wonderful advice, which on reading second time around is really useful. It's true though that you have to be in the right frame of mind to learn and it will not sink in if you have other things bothering you. Good luck with your course and enjoy it.
    Love Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Di!

    I'm just pleased I've started off on the course again! I'm hoping to stay on track now with it. How did you find the Writers' News course? There are so many out there to choose from.

    Good luck with your writing endeavours in 2010!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading about your article writing has been fascinating. I'm really looking forward to hearing about your short story progress.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Suzanne.

    I love reading about other writer's progress and how and why they write so I thought someone might be interested in what I've been doing. I can't wait to see how my fiction writing goes as well! Just finished one article which will be emailed tonight and the other will be tweaked and sent over the next couple of days. I will be doing a bit of fiction in between but going full fiction pelt from this weekend!

    How is your novel coming on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The novel's been resting. Am going to give it another re-write (its last) then send it on its way.

    Love the new profile pic.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the novel feels suitably refreshed after its rest and has taken your stern words on board that this is its last chance!

    Best of luck with the novel and thanks re your comments on my new picture - very kindly (and bravely) taken by fellow writer, blogger and Wrekin Writers member Mike White!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been visiting various blogs for my term papers writing research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards

    ReplyDelete