Monday, 18 January 2010

Scouring the magazines for writing opportunities

I had a 'thanks, but no thanks, reply to one of the proposals I sent out last week. The editor said they weren't commissioning any new pieces this year (and it's not even February yet!) but he would keep my details on file which is positive. I'm not disappointed - I would have been a few months ago but I know that one of the secrets of success is to send the idea elsewhere. So I'm going to look at other markets that may also be interested in the article I'm planning. If one editor says no, another might say yes, so it's always worth putting yours out there again somewhere else. I was pleased that the editor had got back to me so quickly - it doesn't always happen like that: you either hear nothing for months and then get a 'no, or, worst of all, you hear nothing at all. I know it was a 'no', but it was a quick no, and I don't mind that. It means there's no time wasting and I can get on pitching the idea to someone else or carry on working on another piece. The ideal situation is to have several pitched ideas out there with editors so when one comes back it's not such a big deal and you have others out there under consideration. It takes the sting out of it all!(Well a bit any way!) This wednesday I'm out interviewing for an article and I'm really looking forward to it as I haven't been out in the 'field' for a while! I really must get going on the next assignment for the Writers' Bureau Journalism course I started too. I read the whole course folder, did the first assignment and that's as far as I've got. Must make more effort there as it looks a fantastic course and so useful for improving my articles. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their article writing or is planning a career in journalism. Yes, I could have just done their article writing course but I wanted to increase my knowledge and expertise in the whole field of journalism - you never know when these skills may come in handy. I know I will never be a journalist in the newspaper reporter sense, dashing out at the drop of a hat to cover news stories. I never have had or will have a desire to do that. But it's helpful to know how they operate. Talking about the Writers' Bureau, Simon Whaley mentioned on his blog about one of his students who had done an article for an assignment but when he'd submitted it to a magazine it was declined. But did he just toss the article aside? Oh no he looked at it again, pulled an interesting element out of it and worked it into a new article, submitted it and he sold it! It works so his student's experience has given me the kick I needed to get going on a couple of my declined articles - thank you Simon and your student. Good luck with your writing projects everyone and remember: 'Every exit is an entry somewhere else' Tom Stoppard. And 'It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.' Seneca Julie xx

4 comments:

  1. Hi Julie

    I mentioned my student because it was a great example of not being put off by the initial rejection. It doesn't matter what you do in life, if you give up at the first hurdle, you're not going to get very far! And let's face it, because my student didn't he's now £150 better off!

    So, you're right. Feel upbeat that the editor came back to you quickly, and then feel upbeat even more that you now have the opportunity to offer this great idea to another editor now:-)

    Good luck!

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Simon

    I love searching out new avenues for my writing and even if the proposals aren't accepted it's a good excuse to go to WH Smith and browse the shelves for more new magazines to pitch to!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie, I am recyling at the moment too and I agree it's much better to get a quick no then you can move on to the next.
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always good to move forward, Di and the sooner the editors reply the better we can do that. I don't mind when it's a no if it's done quickly but when you have to wait months or you never find out, that's what annoys me! So much time wasting!

    Onwards and upwards or is it upwards and onwards? Whatever! Just keep going is my mantra!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete