Wednesday, 27 January 2010

On the line

I had a wonderful phone interview  this evening with the Director of Services of the charity I'm doing a series of articles on at the moment. It's always a pleasure to speak with someone who loves to talk as much as I do! It was fantastic. She was so relaxed and such a mine of information I know I can write some really good pieces on the charity.

I don't have any recording facilities on my phone so I have to make notes. As I said before, I don't try and write every word down and I don't know formal short hand - so I just write key words and phrases and use my own hieroglyphics that only I can interpret (most of the time!). I've just finished typing up the interview and put it in my folder to keep all the info together so I'm not hunting for it when I've lost it all!

I also sent my list of questions to her a few days before the interview to give her time to think about her answers and it was obvious that she had given them a lot of serious thought which helped. I prefer this so I'm not going in cold or have the problem where the interviewee doesn't know what to say and there's an embarrassing silence down the phone line!

The most exciting news about my contact with this charity, though, is that I have been invited to their annual do in the House of Commons in July. They have speakers  including teachers and children who have benefitted from the charity's work and they are hoping to get a children's author who was a volunteer reader and won an award for his books to speak to. I'm so excited! I so hope I can go. She suggested I might like to do a follow up article about the do - so I guess I'll be doing more interviews. And taking photos, if allowed - I don't want to be carted off and arrested as a potential terrorist for taking photos in London do I?!  You never know where your writing might take you! A night in the cells by Julie Phillips!!

Tomorrow afternoon I'm at a school in Shrewsbury interviewing the head and a teacher about their experiences with the charity - it's the same school my old English Teacher who I interviewed last week is a volunteer reader at so I'm hoping to see him again too. That will be the last interview for this project so you all know what I'll be doing over the weekend!

Take care and grab those writing opportunities!

Julie xx

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how exciting. Just shows how one thing can lead to another.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really cool and worthwhile project and I wish you all the best with it!!

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Suzanne. I'm really looking forward to it!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Dean! And welcome. How's it all going?
    It's such a great charity and I'm looking forward to meeting the headmaster of one of the schools who use the charity's services this afternoon.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete