Friday, 22 January 2010

Keeping on track

We're coming up to the end of January, that classic time when the excitement of the Christmas festivities and the promises that a new year carry have long gone and our new year's resolutions hace weakened, or dissipated altogether. We all have ups and downs in our lives, events that appear to conspire against us - vetoing our best laid plans and wondering if someone 'upstairs' is out to get us. It's the same with our writing. We get rejection after rejection punctuated with a couple of successes and wonder why we make the effort. It's at our low points that we most need the help and support of other writers who are going through a good run of successes to bolster the spirits and resolve of those of us who are struggling.

That's why blogging and social networking is so fantastic. It gives writers the opportunity to learn from published writers who have a lot more success and experience than we do. They give their advice so generously because they know that at any second they too could be getting a few more rejections through the post than they'd like. They started from where we are now and appreciate how hard it can be to become published. They know what it's like to struggle and how we feel when we are getting nowhere.

 Something that has lifted my spirits today through the dreaded lurgy I've picked up was the arrival of the books I'd ordered through Amazon with the voucher I received for a winning letter in a magazine for school Governors. Amongst them was the 2010 edition of Writer's Market. They did have a website but that seems to have folded? Does anyone have any other information on that? I urge to buy this book if you are serious about your writing. It's jam packed with useful features about writing and of course the usual listings of all the magazines etc you might like to write for. I've had a flick through it and it's fired up my motivation levels again to get cracking. I glimpsed a few possible new markets I want to try to sell my articles to. It's so exciting! Have a look at the book and the website too and I know you'll be inspired too.

Don't let your resolve weaken, or your enthusiasm for your writing diminish. You have to keep trying if you want to be published and this book and website would be a great place to find new avenues for your writing and keep your creative writing on track. Make it your goal  each week to peruse the newsagents for a new magazine that you might submit to. And when you've read it and decided what you could write for them, read or request their submission guidelines, pitch it to the editor, or send your manuscript in, and see what happens. You really have nothing to lose. There was a chap in one of the writing magazines recently who was going through this book alphabetically and pitching an idea to each and every magazine outlet in there! Stupitidy, or sheer ingenuity and determination? I like his spirit, but you decide! Whether he'll achieve his massive goal, I don't know, but I'm rooting for him. He's showing all the signs of a great writer: determination, research, flexibility, tenacity and a 'can do' attitude. You can't fault him on that. I'm not going down his long road but I do intend to pitch at least one new idea to one new magazine each week. Why not give it a go too? It will be interesting to see where it takes us and how we fair!

Happy writing Julie xx

11 comments:

  1. Hi Julie,

    Not Writers Market but have you seen this website:

    http://www.writersandartists.co.uk/

    N xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I agree Julie, I have the 2008 version of the writers market and some may be out of date but it's a great tool. I trawled through it at work the other day (well in my lunch hour)and found several publishers for my book. It makes me feel positive just seeing how many places there are to try out our work.
    Good luck with yours and glad you are enjoying your new books
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nicola

    No I haven't seen that one but I'll take a look, thanks

    Julie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a fab book, isn't it, Di!
    Mind you, even when I was flicking through it I saw a couple of things that were already out of date and that's why the website was so good as it was more up to date, but that seems to have gone - shame!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to try to get into the act of sending a query to a new magazine each week but I need to get into a good routine of writing after Christmas and the snow. I did send one out last week as I've just mentioned in my blog.

    I hope you feel better soon. I know hard it is to write when you feel rough.

    Abi x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not easy is it, Abi. But at least if you can get into a routine it will make the process so much easier. Then you'll always have a steady stream of queries going out and (hopefully) a steady stream of acceptances coming in.

    I am feeling a bit better now, thank you. But I haven't written anything much over the past week. I'm just taking it easy and will get back into it next week. I find my creativity and editing skills just fly out of the window when I'm ill so there's no point in even trying! I'm having fun reading my books instead!

    Good luck with your writing

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're feeling a bit better. And thanks for another great post.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still trying to balance writing articles with short stories and my novel, so I'm not pitching any new ideas at the moment until I've finished the ones I'm working on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Suxanne It's back to school today!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will spell your name right, SUZANNE!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's the trouble when you write short stories, articles and novels - I find they all start trying to grab your attention at once!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete