Saturday, 9 January 2010

Finally!

Well, it came. My copy of February's issue of Writers' Forum. I had to admit, though, that I felt decidedly squeamish as I tool the plastic wrapper off after it had plopped through my letterbox, and I was distracted for a moment by the sight of the poor postman fighting his way through the sudden snow storm that had whipped up. You see, inside this issue is my article about writing courses!You may remember I was venting my frustrations at how long it takes to get anything in print in a previous post - well I submitted the proposal for this particular article in March 2009. I heard nothing back so decided to make enquiries with the editor on June 9th 2009. He asked me to send it in, which I did that day and it was accepted quickly but he wanted to keep it for a while hence it's publication date. That's 10 months from proposal to publication! See - it can take a long time which is why we writers need nerves of steel and the patience of a thousand saints. But it is possible to get published - I never thought I could - but I have and so can you. Some of you are more widely published than me and so you know all too well what it's like waiting to see if your work is accepted. I have to confess that I hate reading my own published work. I don't know what it is, but I have to read it through my fingers and with one eye closed! I never think my work is good enough and even when I have it published in Writers' Forum - one of the biggest selling trade magazines for writers - I still don't like my own work! I still think it's not worthy to be in these magazines - why? The editor obviously had faith that my work is of a good enough standard and that it would appeal to his readers, and yet ...... Ruddy women - well all writers really, we're never satisfied are we?! I have to say that my writing group have done us proud this month. I had an article in Writers' Forum, Simon Whaley had one in Writing Magazine (which I was interviewed for, alongside Jan and Di. Sue Ross had a letter in Writers Forum and Fee had two letters: one in Writing Magazine and the other in Writers' News! You can do it if you writing group do it! Best of luck everyone in your future writing endeavours. Let's see how many bloggers we can get in these magazines!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Julie congratulations. I can't wait to get a copy as this month, it really is a great success for so many members of Wrekin Writers. It must feel great after all this time of waiting to see it in print. Well done!
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just read your article - brilliant work. Well done.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Di

    I really can't quite believe it's in there and that I wrote it! I wonder how many others in Wrekin Writers will get their work in print in 2010 - what have we all started?! I blame Mr Whaley!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Suzanne! I can't believe it's in. It's given my confidence and motivation a boost.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read it as well. Excellent, well done.

    ReplyDelete