Sunday, 27 December 2009

The quiet before the storm?

How do you view the days between Christmas and New Year? The grey, endless days where nothing seems to happen? Is it dead space that isn't worth you lifting your pen to write home about? Or does it present a writing opportunity for next year? Can you write an article or two and things to do and see in the week between Christmas and New Year? Everyone seems to be at a loss of what to do this week. The excitement of Christmas has died down; the kids are bored with their new toys; al your Christmas guests have either gone home or are bickering and sniping at each other from being cooped up with each other for far too long. Any top five or ten lists you could suggest to relieve the boredom and make the path from Christmas to New Year a smoother one? Now is the period of the quiet before the storm of the New Year rushing in and a great opportunity to write something original - above the usual humdrum of this time of year - that editors will love. Think humour.

Write it all down - anything that springs into your head. When you're out walking or shopping, listen to the conversations going on around you - you might strike gold!Something to think about while you recover from eating too much Turkey!

Julie xx

6 comments:

  1. Hi Julie
    Hope you had a great time over Christmas, I am now enjoying the more relaxing side of the festive period. This morning I read a story that made me weep ( it was so brilliant that I immediately thought - I want to do that!) I shall certainly be using the next few days thinking about new ideas for my own work, yet still enjoying what other writers have done in the past.
    Have a great new year, best wishes Di x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Di

    Yes we had a good Xmas but are so tired now - all I want to do is sleep! I love stories like that - the ones that spike an emotion in the reader. It's certainly something to strive for isn't it. And I think reading the stories that evoke such strong emotions in us as writers are the ones we learn most from.

    Have a great new year and see you soon

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie

    Glad you had a good Christmas. I've just been blogging about this time between Christmas and New Year. I'm torn between writing and spending time with the kids (makes a change between writing and housework!), there's projects that I'm itching to work on and queries to pitch but of course everyone is on holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always a pull isn't it, Abi - do you spend time with the family or writing? It's hard to strike a balance so I know exactly what you mean! I'm itching to go again but I know after today I won't get chance until Saturday to get much writing done as my hubby will be back to work on 12 hour shifts. We're going shopping this am but this afternoon I am going to indulge myself as I have a short story in mind that I'm going to plan using my research and the Swain principles from his book to see if I can write a publishable short story for a change! Stranger things have happened!

    Good luck with your writing endeavours too, Abi

    Julie

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to get as much writing done as possible before I have to go back to 'the day job'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Helen!

    I hope the writing's going well. I'm just waiting for my writing 'urge' to kick in again. I always feel slightly unsettled and out of kilter at this time of year, but come Jan 1st I'll be firing on all cylinders again, starting with Blog take over day!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete