Friday, 11 December 2009

Back On Track

Following my NaNoWriMo adventure in November, I'd let things slide somewhat on the article writing front. But I am pleased to report that I have made some good headway this week to getting myself back on track. I've completed some interviews and have sent off two articles: one to Writers' News about using material from your community to write about and one to The New Writer about maximising your writing time - we'll see how they get on.

I like to try and send something out at least every week, but sometimes I don't manage it. I have been hitting the newspapers hard too by sending out letters to a variety of them. I hadn't done many letters for ages so thought I'd give them a blast - it's good for the soul to get things off your chest! I always find that the papers like a good old ranting letter about what's wrong with the world rather than what's right about it!

I'm thinking about branching out into trying to write articles for the mother and baby type magazines and education. I think I could use my recent experiences as a school Governor and reading support volunteer in my writing. I'm also going to be writing about Safer Routes To School - I've been involved in this for the route my daughter and other children and parents who use this particular road to access the school and we've been campaigning for greater safety measures up there. The police were outside the school yesterday at the start and end of the school day and again this morning, ticketing and warning parents who park on the double yellow lines. Writing about what we know about and are involved in is a good source of material and can open up many different writing opportunities.

I have nothing to report about any of my articles out there but I will be working on completing the articles about two local authors and my NaNo experiences over the next two weeks to get them finished before Santa comes down the chimney. I'm lucky that I have a bank of ideas and articles to work on - I would hate to have nothing to write or work on and I'm ecstatic about how my article writing has gone this year - I never expected or dreamed that I would get my articles accepted by two major writing magazines or the local county glossy. It just goes to prove what you can do if you work hard and set your mind to it.

I'm determined to push forward with my writing in 2010 and raise my standards. I'm also determined to help other writers by posting here anything I have found useful on the way.

Let's get our acts together and have a brilliant writing year in 2010!

Tomorrow is the Wrekin Writers meeting followed by the Christmas meal and I am so looking forward to it.

Julie xx

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad things are getting back on track for you. I hate being behind with my plans and for us mums this time of year is particularly busy. Diversifying is important I think just in case a market that you rely on has a change of editor or folds.
    What are your aims for 2010?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You work so hard and deserve every success, Julie.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Abi, and thank you.

    It's horrible when you get behind isn't it. And, yes, you need to be flexible and be able to write in a lot ofdifferent styles to keep up with the market changes.

    My aims for next year are to go back to the short story writing and see if I can get some more published. I'm currently, with Olivia Ryan, doing some market research (again!) on the type of stories each magazine publish to see if we can write better stories next year. We are posting our findings on our blogs.

    What will you be doing next year?

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Suzanne - we are a lot of hard workers in blog land! And may we all have a successful year in 2010.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't set any goals for 2010 yet, but my only goal for 2009 was to enjoy my writing and that really seems to have paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think if we enjoy the writing process then whether our work gets published or rejected it doesn't matter - it's the journey that's the key and not the end product. It's certainly paid off for you as you've had a wonderful year, Helen. I think we can all learn something from your attitude towards your writing. Thank you. And I hope 2010 is as equally, if not more successful for you.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goals for 2010 are to complete my book, continue with my regular slot on my local newspaper's website and to be published in a magazine. A cheque from an article a month would be a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great goals, Abi, and I hope you achieve them. Yes, a regular income from writing would be most welcome here too.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete