Tuesday, 13 October 2009

If At First You Don't Succeed ....

Well, my flabber has well and truly been gasted. After the disappointment of yesterday's rejection of my archery article by one magazine, to be honest, I was feeling down hearted. But yesterday I did email the other editor of the other magazine , I had sent the article to originally back in August, and they had said 'maybe' but my books are full at the moment. I'll call you in a few weeks. They said they were still interested so, with a hopeful heart and feeling a little better than I did yesterday, I got the article our this morning and edited it to within an inch of it's life and sent it off with a couple of images (I cringed when I attached the images to the email)to the editor.

I don't know how anyone else feels when they've pressed the 'send' button, or put the envelope containing their manuscript in to the post box, but I always have a mixture of feeling sick, excited, shock - oh my god what have I done! I do try and get over this by getting on with more work but I didn't have chance to this time. Within minutes an ominous 'ping' emanated from my inbox. Well that's it, I thought. It's got to be a no.

I don't know who I felt more sorry for, me or my lovely archers. But I gave a heavy sigh and opened the message anyway. It was from the editor and she'd accepted my article and images and wants me to send more images!! It just goes to show that you shouldn't give up on yourself and your writing. And Do send out your rejected stuff again. I have been reluctant to do this in the past but I won't be now!

Shropshire Life are planning to use my article (fingers crossed) in Jan/Feb next year. And I had the wonderful job of bearing the good news to one of the archers who is very pleased!

It's taken me since July to find a home for my article, which isn't long in the grand scheme of things, so I am chuffed and I'm already working on my next submissions to other mags.

I will, in the future, if I decide to carry on writing features and using my own photos, have to think about investing in a better camera and a camera course (that's what Christmas & birthdays are for) to improve what I can produce.But, for today, I am in a celebratory mood!

Go Wrekin Writers! I know Di has also had her feature accepted in one of the Shropshire magazines too. Keep writing and keep sending your work out everyone - you can and will get published.

Julie xx

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant news Julie, see what determination does? My article will be in the November issue of Shropshire Life.
    I feel exactly the same when I press the send button - sick and almost shaking with fear! It's mad isn't it? But it's worth feeling like it when we get accepted.
    Well done - Again!

    PS- Mom sent me your Shropshire Star article - it's so professional and well written.
    Di
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Di. It's so exciting isn't it!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree. Keep sending stuff out. Just because one editor can't use it doesn't mean others won't want it. Well done for perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Helen. Yes, I think perseverance is very important if writers want to be published.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Julie. You're doing so well.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ta, Suzanne! I can't wait to get on to my next challenge now!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, perseverance can often bring success.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Jon. I just hope I can continue writing stuff editors want to publish!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete