Friday, 11 September 2009

Swings And Roundabouts

It's been a bit of a funny old week in regards to article writing for me. On the positive side I've been out and about in my local community interviewing people and taking photographs of the local area. This has been a good experience for me and I've really enjoyed chatting to people. What I've found most interesting on my travels, is how willing people have been to talk to me - it's made my job a lot easier and I have even had people make suggestions to me on what I could write about next which is a bonus!

I've found this week that the only way to get ideas for articles and find things to write about is to get out there and talk to people. It has surprised me how much getting out and about in the fresh air has energised me and rejeuvenated my enthusiasm to find new things to write about and markets I've never considered writing for before.

The good news this week is that I had three articles published in one issue of a community magazine. It was a nice surprise as I thought the editor was only going to use one. The downside was that there were a few typo spelling and grammatical mistakes in there (not mine!) So I only hope that anyone reading them doesn't think I can't spell or put a sentence together properly!

I have been working hard on another article about my local community (hence the interviews and photography) But the editor has asked me to hold fire on that one - I'm getting mixed messages as a few days ago the editor said to make sure my photos were as high res as possible, but yesterday told me to hold off on the article for now. I find the uncertainty frustrating and I have my suspicions that that particular community magazine is going to disappear. It's not a problem to me as I can find other markets - but it's an annoyance! But this is part of the course for a freelance writer. If an editor of one magazine says no you have to move on to the next one. It's the way it is.

Both of these mags don't pay contributors for their articles but, as I've said before, contributing to non-paying magazines is good practice and gets your name out there - plus you can add the articles to your portfolio to show future editors of paying (hopefully) magazines what you've done before. But I would like to get an article I actually get paid for in somewhere again soon!I'm working on one for a writing magazine at the moment.

I've sent a few more proposals out and will continue to do so. A lot of the proposals I send out I never hear anything about! Do you think the editors are trying to tell me something. But I'll keep sending them out regardless! Every now and then I get a bite - so it's worth it in the end.

Julie xx

2 comments:

  1. You have the right attitude, Julie. And you've had great success so far. Keep at it.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Suzanne! I'm determined to carry on as I love writing so much as I know you do too.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete