Friday, 25 September 2009

Drinks All Round!

I have just received an email from the editor of the community magazine I had problems with and all is well again. He says it was a misunderstanding and he had no intention of restricting me to write exclusively for his magazine. He just wants to make sure that my articles don't appear in other local magazines as his in the same month.

My article for that editor's magazine was in the August issue and my three articles for the other magazine were in the September issue. So I hadn't got into both mags the same time. I had already submitted my three articles to the other magazine by the time I'd spoken to the first editor about my Horsehay article, so I really couldn't have done anything about it.So I just need to stagger my submissions to ensure I don't get in both at the same time. To be honest, I'm too busy to write for both at the same time now anyway and I am concerntrating my efforts more heavily on paying markets. But at least I know I can submit to both community mags alternatively without any fear of confusion or agro!

Note to self and other writers - accurate and clear communication is the key! If editors don't want a writer to appear in more than one local community magazine at the same time they should say. And writers should tell editors if they have submitted articles to other magazines in the area and they are likely to be in at the same time. Problem is we don't always know when our articles will be used!!

I just want to put the whole incident behind me now and move on. I have learned a valuable lesson and by blogging about it, I hope I save someone else the embarrassment!

Julie xx

2 comments:

  1. It all gets so complicated doesn't it? Glad you got it sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So am I, Helen! The trouble is that every editor has their own set of rules and it can be very difficult to decipher what they are. But, hey ho, I'm learning fast!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete