Friday, 7 August 2009

Funny Old Day

It's been a bit of a strange day today as far as my article writing goes. I had an article published in the new Issue of the National Association of Writers' Groups magazine, The Link, which I received through the post this morning but then I had two emails. One email was from an editor who loved the aritcle I sent in to them but the other was from an editor who was not happy with my work for various reasons.

I have to admit that I was disappointed to start with. I'd worked hard on the articles, as I always do, but I have to admit to feeling a little out of my depth on the ones the editor wasn't happy with as they were on a subject I know little about and an area I've never visited, so even when I sent them off to him I felt uneasy. It's like a gut feeling; I get it when I have an inkling an editor might not like what I've written. But I often have this feeling and have been wrong about what the editor thinks about my work! So I just have to bite the bullet and override my misgivings sometimes and send the work out anyway.

I'd done as much as I could on them and, to be honest, writing them was taking up valuale time that I could have spent on other projects. I know I shouldn't grumble because at least this editor pays - but not a lot! At the moment I'm happiest writing for the free community mags but I do need to concentrate on paying markets too. We all need to earn a living, after all. Maybe I need to move on.

So I'm just putting that set back down to experience and I'll find another writing opportunity elsewhere. Although I love article writing it does stop me from writing short stories as much as I'd like to so I think I'm going to have to choose between the two - at least for a while. I'm going to finish the few articles I have on the go over the next few days and then go back to writing short stories for a while. I need to immerse myself in fiction. Maybe I'll come back to article writing with fresh eyes and more enthusiasm then.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment