Friday, 31 July 2009

Time To Get The Dictaphone Out Again

This weekend, unpertutbed by my nervous first attempt at journalism at the Wenlock Games last month, I am following up on one of the leads I had at the games. I will be attending an archery competition at Attingham Park, near Shrewsbury and have just contacted the organiser to confirm. I was a little nervous as I haven't yet managed to get any editors interested in my articles from the games, but I needn't have worried as the organiser remembered me from the games and I feel confident about going.

The mistake I made at the games was to try and cover too many events and end up with not a lot about any of them! Note to fellow newbie article writers: don't spread yourself too thin! But as this is a single event I can relax and take my time to do it properly. I don't feel so self conscious about interviewing people and using my dictaphone now and it such a time saver, plus I don't have to try and read my terrible, scrawled hand writing when I get home. I do still take some notes in case of equipment failure but I wouldn't go to any event now without my new gadget. Note to fellow newbie article writers: get a dictaphone - it will change your life!

Having learned so much from attending the games I am armed to get more information and I definitely want more pictures! I was too shy to ask people if they wouldn't mind having their photos taken at the games but I want to get some clearer shots and get the people behind the bows. I know I will have a much better chance of getting an article accepted by an editor if I can supply good quality photos too, so I will try my best.

Have a look at this month's Writers' Forum magazine for tips on writing and sending articles into local magazines. They have some editors of local mags from around the country spelling out what they want - so if this is your thing I reccommend that you read it.

I just hope the weather will improve for the weekend or I'll have to get my green wellies out!

Good luck with your article writing and submissions!

Julie.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie
    It sounds great and I am sure you will get some excellent material, especially with the photos.
    Best of luck and enjoy it, I am sure all your hard work will pay off very soon.

    Di
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Di! Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it.
    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete